In the constant battle between ductile iron and PVC, simple truths are sometimes forgotten in the fog of war. We would like to take a moment to remind all of the following:
PVC Pipe [Fittings]: Unsurpassed Longevity and Sustainability
- PVC pipe [fittings’] life expectancy is 100+ years (AAWARF study).
- PVC pipe [fittings’] long life results in the most favorable life cycle-costs.
- PVC requires less energy to manufacture, ship, and install than iron products.
- PVC has a smooth inner suface that reduces pumping costs.
- PVC is immune to internal corrosion, so no liners are needed to maintain water quality and flow characteristics.
- PVC is immune to external corrosion, so no coatings, plastic encasement[s], or cathodic protection[s] are needed.
- PVC is recyclable.